java.io.UnsupportedEncodingException problem & solution

As a web developer, I’m working on lots of things. Today, while working on a windows machine and trying to run an ANT task and then run JBoss to test my build, I encountered this error:

[shell]

java.io.UnsupportedEncodingException: cp1255

[/shell]

After quite some time of Googling and finding nothing, I remembered I changed my regional settings on the machine to use Hebrew as the locale. This appeared to be a mistake.

Once I changed the locale back to English (USA) everything got back to normal and worked absolutely fine (as always).

So, the conclusion is:

When you get this error, verify that the machine you are using is set to English Locale and not other locales.

Hope this saves you some time, I know I pulled more then a couple of hairs to find out what is causing this issue.

Submit to Hacker News

[NOTE] This post has been imported to Hugo from a Wordpress blog. It may be broken, missing images, code snippets or other information.

[NOTE] updated August 2, 2010. It's 3101 days old . This article may have outdated content.